LA restaurant offers discount to diners who give up their phone - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

LA restaurant offers discount to diners who give up their phone during meal

Updated: Aug 17, 2012 10:53 AM EDT
There was a time when visiting a restaurant included having an engaging conversation. (©Hemera/Thinkstock) There was a time when visiting a restaurant included having an engaging conversation. (©Hemera/Thinkstock)
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Los Angeles

    Los Angeles

    L.A. may never have the sophisticated style of Paris or the historical riches of Rome, but it does lay claim to the most entertaining city in the U.S., if not the world.More >>
    L.A. may never have the sophisticated style of Paris or the historical riches of Rome, but it does lay claim to the most entertaining city in the U.S., if not the world.More >>


By Trevor Mogg
Provided by

There was a time when visiting a restaurant with a friend meant enjoying a tasty meal together and having an engaging conversation. Thanks to the proliferation of smartphones, however, it's now also about texting a friend between the starter and the main, taking a call from a co-worker mid-meal, tweeting a photo of the dessert, and firing off an email during the post-dinner coffee. Of course, a review of the eatery posted online even before you're out the door is also obligatory.

If both of you are at it, no one gets hurt, but it kind of defeats the whole point of going to a restaurant with a friend, does it not?

Discount

One restaurant owner/chef in Los Angeles has decided to encourage people to once again enjoy the company of their fellow diners by offering a 5 percent discount on their check if they hand over their phone before the first course is served.

Southern California radio station KPCC reported that Mark Gold, who runs Eva restaurant on Beverly Boulevard, is hoping to create a more homely atmosphere by giving patrons the chance to enjoy their meal without the possibility of a handset interrupting the flow of the dining experience.

"For us, it's really not about people disrupting other guests. Eva is home, and we want to create that environment of home, and we want people to connect again," Gold told KPCC. "It's about two people sitting together and just connecting, without the distraction of a phone, and we're trying to create an ambience where you come in and really enjoy the experience and the food and the company."

Gold added that so far just under half of the diners visiting his restaurant have taken up the offer, though he failed to mention whether anyone had broken into a cold sweat halfway through the main course, begging to have their phone returned.

Phone Stack

Earlier this year another Californian man, Brian Perez, also had an idea to get diners looking at each other again, instead of at their handsets, creating a game called Phone Stack. The idea is that after taking your seat, everyone places their mobile in the center of the table. The first person who grabs their device during the meal, regardless of the reason, has to take care of the check.

How do you feel about Mark Gold's idea of taking your phone away for the duration of the meal? Could you handle it? Or does the thought of being separated from your handset for even just a few minutes fill you with dread?

In Case You Missed It:

Amazon is building a phone, reports say (Updated)
This week in apps: Best new options for iPhone
Pay for play: Are marketers manipulating Apple's App Store rankings?
Facebook phone: Former iPhone engineers hired by Zuckerberg, report says

This article was originally posted on Digital Trends

Content provided by
  • More NewsMore>>

  • How you can help local food banks feed the hungry by simply voting on Facebook

    How you can help local food banks feed the hungry by simply voting on Facebook

    The Valley came through in a big way when WalMart offered to help the nation's food banks and now the challenge is back with a new fighting hunger initiative offering $60,000. You can help feed the hungry simply by voting each day until October 5th.WalMart has issued a "Fight Hunger, Spark Change," challenge. It is giving $60,000 to 50 food banks around the country that get the most votes.Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley says your vote will help feed up to $15,000 people each w...More >>
    The Valley came through in a big way when WalMart offered to help the nation's food banks and now the challenge is back with a new fighting hunger initiative offering $60,000. You can help feed the hungry simply by voting each day until October 5th.WalMart has issued a "Fight Hunger, Spark Change," challenge. It is giving $60,000 to 50 food banks around the country that get the most votes.Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley says your vote will help feed up to $15,000 people each w...More >>
  • Man steps in front of truck, sets himself on fire

    Man steps in front of truck, sets himself on fire

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:53:16 GMT
    OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) - Authorities say a man stepped in front of a passing truck on a northeast Ohio highway, was struck, then somehow managed to retrieve a container of gasoline, swallowed some and set himself on fire as three young children sat in his car.In a video posted online by The Chronicle-Telegram in Elyria, Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Travis Hughes says a passing motorist stopped and extinguished the blaze. The man was struck around 10:30 a.m. Monday on U.S. 20 in Oberlin, about 35...More >>
    OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) - Authorities say a man stepped in front of a passing truck on a northeast Ohio highway, was struck, then somehow managed to retrieve a container of gasoline, swallowed some and set himself on fire as three young children sat in his car.In a video posted online by The Chronicle-Telegram in Elyria, Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Travis Hughes says a passing motorist stopped and extinguished the blaze. The man was struck around 10:30 a.m. Monday on U.S. 20 in Oberlin, about 35...More >>
  • Route 318 bridge reopens in Mercer County

    Route 318 bridge reopens in Mercer County

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:47:19 GMT
    Route 318 is open to traffic in Shenango Township, Mercer County, following completion of a bridge replacement project.More >>
    Route 318 is open to traffic in Shenango Township, Mercer County, following completion of a bridge replacement project.More >>
INFORMATIONAL DISCLAIMER The information contained on or provided through this site is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional financial or accounting advice. Always seek the advice of your accountant or other qualified personal finance advisor for answers to any related questions you may have. Use of this site and any information contained on or provided through this site is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms