The 80/20 rule could help you stay on track during the holiday - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

The 80/20 rule could help you stay on track during the holiday

Posted:
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -

As host of YouTube's Woman vs. Workout, Lauren Berlingeri is no stranger to going the extra mile.  While most of us wouldn't dare complete the physical challenges she's put herself through, she says there are many fairly easy things she does that we can try that could help us during the holidays.

"I believe in something called the 80/20 rule and 80% of the time I am really healthy and I eat really good and I make all the healthy decisions that I possibly can, but the other 20% I do enjoy myself," said Lauren Berlingeri.

Berlingeri says the key to getting through the holidays, without the weight gain, is finding that balance.  Of course, that can be hard.  If you're stuck in an airport or in the car on your way to celebrate the holiday, there often are few healthy food options to choose from.  Berlingeri's recommendation?  Pack healthy food and take it with you.

"If you pack some fresh fruit and vegetables or some clean protein bars or I am a big advocate of green juices.  I travel with them everywhere, then you don't have that reason to go and indulge in these fast food place that you don't want to eat at anyways, but you have no choice," said Berlingeri

Berlingeri says if you do get side tracked from your healthy habits, get back on track as soon as you can.  Sometimes it's easier to do that when you surround yourself with like-minded people.

"I find the best way to recover is just to get right back to it.  The longer you put off, the longer it is going to take.  Just one more day, just another day. There are always millions of excuses and if you let yourself give those excuses over and over you may set yourself up for failure," said Berlingeri.

The green juices Berlingeri mentioned consist of a combination of leafy greens, vegetables and fruits.  Research has shown that the nourishment from those juices become available to the cells hours before the nutrients from solid foods.

  • More From wfmj.comMore>>

  • Lightning kills boy swimming in Pennsylvania creek

    Lightning kills boy swimming in Pennsylvania creek

    Monday, September 1 2014 3:09 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:09:34 GMT
    Authorities say a lightning strike has killed a boy who was swimming in a central Pennsylvania creek.More >>
    Authorities say a lightning strike has killed a boy who was swimming in a central Pennsylvania creek.More >>
  • Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
  • Flying club remembers 4 killed in Ohio plane crash

    Flying club remembers 4 killed in Ohio plane crash

    CLEVELAND (AP) - Members of a flying club held a candlelight vigil to remember four Ohio college students killed a week ago when a small plane crashed just after taking off near Cleveland. Friends and family members were among the 80 people who gathered Sunday night near the crash site in Willoughby Hills. Federal officials say the pilot of the plane reported he was having trouble climbing just after takeoff and was trying to return to the airport. All four people aboard the plane were stude...More >>
    CLEVELAND (AP) - Members of a flying club held a candlelight vigil to remember four Ohio college students killed a week ago when a small plane crashed just after taking off near Cleveland. Friends and family members were among the 80 people who gathered Sunday night near the crash site in Willoughby Hills. Federal officials say the pilot of the plane reported he was having trouble climbing just after takeoff and was trying to return to the airport. All four people aboard the plane were stude...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms