Ohio halts overnight Amber Alerts to cellphones - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Ohio halts overnight Amber Alerts to cellphones

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The Ohio Amber Alert Steering Committee has decided for now to stop sending alerts about abducted children to Ohioans' cellphones between midnight and 6 a.m. after an overnight alert prompted complaints.

A State Highway Patrol spokeswoman tells The Columbus Dispatch there was "considerable grumbling" in complaints to troopers and the attorney general about an alert early Tuesday. The subjects of it were found safe hours later.

The alerts go automatically to phones that are in the Wireless Emergency Alert program, and others can be set to get them.

A patrol spokeswoman says Ohio will study the issue more before possibly permanently excluding alerts during certain hours.

She says some states and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children choose not to send Amber Alerts at very early hours.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More NewsMore>>

  • 23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:07 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:07:40 GMT
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
  • The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:04 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:04:40 GMT
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
  • Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:52 AM EDT2017-05-25 04:52:46 GMT
    Daimer CesconDaimer Cescon

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms