Springfield Local Schools hopes to pass bond issue for new eleme - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

Springfield Local Schools hopes to pass bond issue for new elementary school

Posted: Updated:

NEW MIDDLETOWN, Ohio - On May 7th, voters in the Springfield Local School District will decide whether or not to approve a bond issue that would help build a new elementary school while the state pays for a portion of the project.

Springfield Elementary School has seen a lot of changes over the past 90 years.

But now, Principal Tom Yazvac says maintaining the building is a losing battle.

"Our roof is leaking and the walls get wet; the plaster is moist. We paint; it peels; we paint again; it peels," Yazvac said.

The school's foundation, which dates back to 1923, is falling apart.

"All of our floor rafters, the joists are all wooden. With all the water leakage we've had, that wood is deteriorating," Yazvac said.

The boiler room looks like a scene from a horror movie, with leaking walls, right where there is electrical wiring.

"It floods when we have rain. It is crumbling in many places," Yazvac said.

An overhaul of the building would cost thousands of dollars. Yazvac said it's time to take advantage of an offer in which the state would pay 48 percent of the costs of a new school through the exceptional needs program and community taxes would fund the other 52 percent.

"So we're looking to put a bond issue on May 7 for two mills for the permanent improvement and a half mill for operating expenses."

Yazvac said he feared the opportunity for funding would not be there much longer.

"The last time we had the OFSC funds it was 65 percent state and 35 percent local," Yazvac said. "It's already down to 48 percent state and 52 percent local. With the increase of the drilling going on and evaluation going up, our share would certainly increase."

Voters will make their decision on May 7. If the bond issue passes, a new elementary school would be built south of the high school within a couple of years.

 

  • More From wfmj.comMore>>

  • WWII vet, 86, beaten outside Ohio hospital

    WWII vet, 86, beaten outside Ohio hospital

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:30 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:30:35 GMT
    CINCINNATI (AP) - Authorities say an 86-year-old World War II veteran is recovering after being beaten outside a southwest Ohio hospital where he was visiting his ailing wife. WCPO-TV reports that Paul Browning was outside Good Samaritan Hospital when the attack happened Sunday. He was there visiting his wife, who is recovering from a stroke. Family members say Browning was left bruised and swollen, and was expected to be hospitalized a few days. Officers arrested 30-year-old Craig Phelps. H...More >>
    CINCINNATI (AP) - Authorities say an 86-year-old World War II veteran is recovering after being beaten outside a southwest Ohio hospital where he was visiting his ailing wife. WCPO-TV reports that Paul Browning was outside Good Samaritan Hospital when the attack happened Sunday. He was there visiting his wife, who is recovering from a stroke. Family members say Browning was left bruised and swollen, and was expected to be hospitalized a few days. Officers arrested 30-year-old Craig Phelps. H...More >>
  • Lightning kills boy swimming in Pennsylvania creek

    Lightning kills boy swimming in Pennsylvania creek

    Monday, September 1 2014 3:09 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:09:34 GMT
    Authorities say a lightning strike has killed a boy who was swimming in a central Pennsylvania creek.More >>
    Authorities say a lightning strike has killed a boy who was swimming in a central Pennsylvania creek.More >>
  • Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms