New court hearing for Cleveland kidnapping suspect - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

New court hearing for Cleveland kidnapping suspect

Posted: Updated:

CLEVELAND (AP) - A man charged with holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has another court hearing.

Ariel Castro has pleaded not guilty to a 329 count indictment that includes multiple kidnapping and rape charges.

Authorities accuse the 52-year-old Castro of kidnapping the women between 2002 and 2004 when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.

Last week Cuyahoga County Judge Michael Russo ordered Castro evaluated to determine if he is mentally competent to stand trial.

The judge said he wants to make sure Castro is able to understand the charges and help attorneys in his defense.

Lawyers for Castro, being held on $8 million bond, have raised the possibility of a plea deal if the death penalty is taken off the table.

Castro's hearing is Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More From wfmj.comMore>>

  • Deadly Israeli strikes hit UN school, market area

    Deadly Israeli strikes hit UN school, market area

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:26 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:26:47 GMT
    A Palestinian health official says 13 people were killed after tank shells hit a U.N. school in Gaza where hundreds of Palestinians had taken refuge from Israeli attacks.More >>
    Israeli artillery shells tore through the walls of a U.N. school crowded with sleeping war refugees and back-to-back explosions rocked a market filled with shoppers Wednesday as Israel's stepped up campaign against...More >>
  • Suing Obama: GOP-led House gives the go-ahead

    Suing Obama: GOP-led House gives the go-ahead

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:49:43 GMT
    Republicans are ready to muscle legislation through the House authorizing an election-year lawsuit against President Barack Obama that accuses him of exceeding his powers in enforcing his health care law.More >>
    A sharply divided House approved a Republican plan Wednesday to launch a campaign-season lawsuit against President Barack Obama, accusing him of exceeding the bounds of his constitutional authority. Obama and other...More >>
  • Forum to focus on extending foster care in Ohio

    Forum to focus on extending foster care in Ohio

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:07 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:07:29 GMT
    The second of five public forums around Ohio on the issue of whether to extend foster care for young people from the age of 18 to 21 includes state legislators and community leaders.More >>
    The second of five public forums around Ohio on the issue of whether to extend foster care for young people from the age of 18 to 21 includes state legislators and community leaders.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms