7,200 trees to be removed from Ohio wildlife area - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

7,200 trees to be removed from Ohio wildlife area

Posted: Updated:

BETHEL, Ohio (AP) - Federal and state officials say they'll try to protect a southwestern Ohio state park from the spread of a tree-killing beetle by removing thousands of trees from the adjacent East Fork Wildlife Area.

Officials expect to remove about 7,200 trees that are considered to be at high risk for infestation by the Asian longhorned beetle. The trees that will be destroyed in the wildlife area near East Fork State Park are within a quarter-mile of trees that are already infested by the beetle.

For now, officials say no trees are being removed from the park itself, which is about 20 miles east of Cincinnati. Nearly 19,000 infested or high-risk trees have been removed from the area since the beetles were discovered there more than two years ago.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More NewsMore>>

  • 23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:07 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:07:40 GMT
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
  • The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:04 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:04:40 GMT
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
  • Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:52 AM EDT2017-05-25 04:52:46 GMT
    Daimer CesconDaimer Cescon

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms