Ohioans cautioned on dangers of carbon monoxide - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

Ohioans cautioned on dangers of carbon monoxide

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.

The Ohio Department of Health and State Fire Marshal say restarting a furnace that's been idle or increased usage of generators and portable heating devices may help explain the trend.

They suggest these safety tips:

Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.

Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.

Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.

Never heat your house with a gas oven.

 

Online:

State Fire Marshall: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/fire_CarbonMonoxide.pdf

Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/co/guidelines.htm

Department of Health: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/features/odhfeatures/codangers.aspx

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms