Weinsteins sue Warner Bros. over 'Hobbit' profits - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

Weinsteins sue Warner Bros. over 'Hobbit' profits

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - Harvey and Bob Weinstein sued Warner Bros.' New Line Cinema on Wednesday, claiming they're owned a share of the profits from the second and third "Hobbit" films.

In the lawsuit filed in New York, the Weinsteins said their 1998 sale of the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy to New Line applies to all "Hobbit" sequels. Warner Bros. elected to split "The Hobbit" into three films, the second of which, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug," opens in theaters Friday.

The Weinsteins are seeking $75 million in damages.

Warner Bros. responded with a statement calling the Weinsteins' sale of Tolkien's book rights "one of the great blunders in movie history." The studio said the Weinsteins and Miramax agreed to be paid only for the first film based on each book.

"No amount of trying to rewrite history can change that fact," Warner Bros. said. "They agreed to be paid only for the first motion picture based on 'The Hobbit.' And that's all they're owed."

The rights to Tolkien's books were owned by Miramax, which was founded by the Weinsteins. After trying to develop the movies, they sold the rights to New Line (which later merged with Warner Bros. and is owned by Time Warner) in 1998 for 5 percent of the profits on each film.

The "Lord of the Rings" films grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide. Along with "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," the movies have each netted the Weinsteins more than $100 million. Although the Weinsteins have since sold Miramax to Disney, they retained a share in "The Hobbit" profits.

The dispute will hinge on how the 1998 agreement is interpreted. A copy of the agreement was shared with The Associated Press. It reads that the terms apply to "the first motion picture, if any, based in whole or in part upon such book which is produced ... but excluding remakes."

The Weinsteins' suit alleges the three "Hobbit" films are installations of one movie, noting that director Peter Jackson largely shot all three at once.

"We are surprised and frustrated by the position Warner Bros. is taking with regards to 'The Hobbit' franchise," Bob and Harvey Weinstein said in a statement. "Since the beginning, Miramax, Harvey and Bob have been a force in getting these books to the screen. In fact, they funded the initial technology for the films at Peter Jackson's (special effects company) WETA. Without these early investments, none of these pictures would have been made."

The third "Hobbit" film, "There and Back Again," is due out next December.

This is the second public argument between the Weinsteins and Warner Bros. this year. They earlier feuded over the use of the title "The Butler." Warner Bros. had protected the title from an obscure 1919 silent short film with the Motion Picture Association of America's title registry. The MPAA ruled that Weinstein Co. couldn't use the title but could go forward with "Lee Daniels' The Butler."

Harvey Weinstein then claimed that Warner Bros. offered the title "The Butler" if he dropped his claim to "The Hobbit" sequels. Warner Bros. denied that allegation.

___

Follow AP Film Writer Jake Coyle on Twitter at http://twitter.com/jake_coyle

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More From wfmj.comMore>>

  • Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    Ohio police: Wedding guest tries to steal gifts

    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Police in Dayton say a wedding guest tried to make off with checks and cash for the newlyweds. Officers were called to the wedding reception late Saturday night after workers noticed that a safe had been emptied out. Police say about $6,800 was found in unopened wedding cards inside a tuxedo garment bag belonging to one of the guests. A police report says surveillance video showed a man entering the office and later walking out with the garment bag. The man told police he...More >>
  • Flying club remembers 4 killed in Ohio plane crash

    Flying club remembers 4 killed in Ohio plane crash

    CLEVELAND (AP) - Members of a flying club held a candlelight vigil to remember four Ohio college students killed a week ago when a small plane crashed just after taking off near Cleveland. Friends and family members were among the 80 people who gathered Sunday night near the crash site in Willoughby Hills. Federal officials say the pilot of the plane reported he was having trouble climbing just after takeoff and was trying to return to the airport. All four people aboard the plane were stude...More >>
    CLEVELAND (AP) - Members of a flying club held a candlelight vigil to remember four Ohio college students killed a week ago when a small plane crashed just after taking off near Cleveland. Friends and family members were among the 80 people who gathered Sunday night near the crash site in Willoughby Hills. Federal officials say the pilot of the plane reported he was having trouble climbing just after takeoff and was trying to return to the airport. All four people aboard the plane were stude...More >>
  • Ohio lawmaker seeks video in Wal-Mart shooting

    Ohio lawmaker seeks video in Wal-Mart shooting

    Monday, September 1 2014 11:10 AM EDT2014-09-01 15:10:31 GMT
    CINCINNATI (AP) - The president of Ohio's legislative black caucus is urging the state attorney general to release surveillance video of the fatal police shooting of a young black man in a suburban Dayton Wal-Mart store. Democratic state Rep. Alicia Reece of Cincinnati says on her web site that she has written to Republican Attorney General Mike DeWine expressing deep concern that information isn't being released in a way that inspires confidence, especially in the African-American community....More >>
    CINCINNATI (AP) - The president of Ohio's legislative black caucus is urging the state attorney general to release surveillance video of the fatal police shooting of a young black man in a suburban Dayton Wal-Mart store. Democratic state Rep. Alicia Reece of Cincinnati says on her web site that she has written to Republican Attorney General Mike DeWine expressing deep concern that information isn't being released in a way that inspires confidence, especially in the African-American community....More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms