Space heater sparks fire in Weathersfield home - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

Space heater sparks fire in Weathersfield home

Posted: Updated:

WEATHERSFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio - A family escaped flames that spread quickly through their home on Friday.

The fire department received a call at around 10:30 am that a house at 1458 Morris Street was filled with smoke.  

When volunteer fire crews arrived on the scene, they reported that the home was fully engulfed.

The Austintown and McDonald fire departments were called in to assist township volunteers.

Weathersfield Township Fire Chief Randall Pugh tells 21 news that a teenager who lives at the home reported that an electric space heater ignited drapes in the upstairs bedroom, and flames spread to the bed.

The teen was unable to douse the fire using an extinguisher.

Chief Pugh says that firefighters had trouble entering the home because of clutter around the front door, which also left one way to exit the home. However the occupants got out of the home unharmed.

Damages from the fire are still being tallied.

 

 

  • SpotlightSpotlightMore>>

  • Updated

    The Scrappers host “POPS at the Ballpark” featuring the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra

    The Scrappers host “POPS at the Ballpark” featuring the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-04-15 18:04:57 GMT
    NILES, Ohio – The Mahoning Valley Scrappers and the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra are excited to host one of the Valley's premiere summer events, POPS at the Ballpark,More >>
    NILES, Ohio – The Mahoning Valley Scrappers and the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra are excited to host one of the Valley's premiere summer events, POPS at the Ballpark, presented by Stanley E. Shearer with Northwestern Mutual and 21 WFMJ on Saturday, August 23, 2014 at Eastwood Field.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms