Gov't report says US lost $11.2B on GM bailout - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Gov't report says US lost $11.2B on GM bailout

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) - A new report says taxpayers lost $11.2 billion on the government's bailout of General Motors.

The estimate comes from a quarterly report Wednesday to Congress by a government watchdog that oversees the bailout, and is up from a previous estimate of $10.5 billion.

The Detroit automaker needed the $49.5 billion bailout to survive its bankruptcy restructuring in 2009. The company went public again in November 2010, and the government sold its last shares of GM in December. The report says the Treasury Department wrote off an $826 million administrative claim against General Motors Co. in March, ending its involvement with the company.

In an interview last year, Special Inspector General Christy Romero said there was "no question" the department and the taxpayers would lose money on GM. The agency said last year that the government lost $2.9 billion on the bailout of Chrysler, which cost $12.5 billion.

Treasury Department spokesman Adam Hodge said the agency was not looking to make money.

"The goal of Treasury's investment in GM was never to make a profit, but to help save the American auto industry, and by any measure that effort was successful," he said.

Only one auto-related company is still partly under government control: auto lender Ally Financial Inc. Ally is the former financing business of GM, and earlier this month it went public again with an IPO that raised $2.38 billion. The Treasury Department owns a 17 percent stake in the company.

Auto companies received $79.7 billion in the bailout, and the Treasury Department has been repaid $59.1 billion.

The department allocated $474.8 billion to the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, to bail out banks, insurers, auto companies and others during the financial crisis. It says it has recovered $438.4 billion.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More NewsMore>>

  • 23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:07 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:07:40 GMT
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
  • The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    The Latest: US lawmaker says UK bomb showed 'sophistication'

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:04 AM EDT2017-05-25 05:04:40 GMT
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
    France's interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.More >>
  • Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:52 AM EDT2017-05-25 04:52:46 GMT
    Daimer CesconDaimer Cescon

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms