Feds: Pa. Woman stole dead mom's checks for 30 years - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Feds: Pa. Woman stole dead mom's checks for 30 years

Posted: Updated:
CARLISLE, Pa. (AP) - Federal prosecutors say a Pennsylvania woman has agreed to plead guilty to stealing more than $520,000 in Social Security checks over the span of 30 years.

Investigators say 71-year-old Susan Stock, of Carlisle, continued cashing the checks following her mother's death in 1983.

The Social Security Administration's Office of Inspector General said it discovered the fraud when trying to arrange an interview last year with Stock's mother, who died in April 1983.

U.S. Attorney Peter J. Smith said Thursday that Stock has agreed to plead guilty to the charge of theft of government funds. She faces up to 10 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine. She has also agreed to repay $523,000 to Social Security Administration.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More NewsMore>>

  • 'We can use peace': Trump and Pope Francis meet

    'We can use peace': Trump and Pope Francis meet

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:46 AM EDT2017-05-24 11:46:04 GMT
    Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed.More >>
    Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed.More >>
  • Officials: Manchester bomber was local man of Libyan descent

    Officials: Manchester bomber was local man of Libyan descent

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 11:45:39 GMT
    The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22, did not make a strong impression on his neighbors.More >>
    The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22, did not make a strong impression on his neighbors.More >>
  • Polish couple among those killed in Manchester blast

    Polish couple among those killed in Manchester blast

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 11:45:37 GMT
    Authorities say 8-year-old Saffie Roussos was the youngest of the 22 victims identified so far in the bombing in Manchester at an Ariana Grande concert.More >>
    Authorities say 8-year-old Saffie Roussos was the youngest of the 22 victims identified so far in the bombing in Manchester at an Ariana Grande concert.More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms