This article was originally distributed via PRWeb. PRWeb, WorldNow and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
Notwithstanding testing by Energy Star which rates bulb life expectancy, only 14.3% of respondents to a new poll found that their own direct experience matched manufacturer's claims on packaging; another 35.3% believed the claims, but not based on their own experience.
Ottawa, Canada (PRWEB) June 27, 2014
Considering the rigorous test standards from Energy Star, it may surprise some industry insiders that under half of business owners, respondents in a randomized poll, believed manufacture's claims on rated lifetime of LED bulbs. In a Leapfrog Lighting poll of over 200 business owners and managers who were asked: "Do LED lighting product manufacturer claims on packaging match real-life performance (for example rated lifetime)?", 14.3% answered that they found their own direct experience matched manufacturer's claims. Another 35.3% believed the claims, for a total of 49.6%. The remaining 50.4% were not convinced, uncertain or found manufacturer claims only partially or inconsistently matched their experience.
"We're even little surprised that 49.6% of business owners and managers believe manufacturer claims entirely," said Stephen Naor, CEO of Leapfrog Lighting. "I think this is an improvement over even a year ago. Anecdotally, many of our customers source our spec-quality bulbs due to poor experience with the various LED bulbs on the market. These findings show that business owners are not yet convinced by the claims."
Generally, higher standards are found in spec-quality bulbs, such as Leapfrog Lightings line of mission-focused LED bulbs. Most bulbs in the market are not spec-quality or Energy Star rated. Products designed for economical consumer use may be holding back business-owner confidence in manufacturer claims.
Age is certainly a factor in responses, with the younger respondents tending to believe claims while the older cohorts tended not to believe manufacturers. Older respondents tended to be more likely to be less positive on manufacturer's claims, with only 20% believing claims versus 65.7% for the younger cohort of 25-35 year-olds. 20% of the 55-64 year-old respondent cohort answered "yes in my direct experience" and 0% answered "yes, I believe so" for a total of 20%. 25-34 year-olds were most likely to answer "yes, in my direct experience" at 47.9%, and another 17.8% "yes, I believe so, for a total of 65.7%. 18-24 year-olds were the most likely of all cohorts to answer yes, with a sum of 81%, while the strongest "no" votes went to 65 plus year-olds at 27.8%
Rural business owners tended to be slightly less likely to respond positively to manufacturer's claims with 9.5% responding "yes, in my direct experience" versus 19.5% for urban and 15.9% for suburban.
"This year, business owners and managers are tending to order more and more spec-quality, especially for retail, display and office useso confidence will likely increase over time," said Mr. Naor of Leapfrog Lighting.
For details of results and answers by age, income, region and other cohorts, the full PDF 6-page report can be downloaded from>>
LED lighting standards continue to evolve, and currently include Energy Star qualificationwhich focuses on energy costs and other economic factors such as durabilityand the standards of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA), known as standard LM-79. There are also voluntary standards, including a notable one from the California, the Voluntary California Quality LED Lamp Specification.
Background on Poll
The blind, randomized poll included the opinions of 201 business owners and managers, with data collected by a research company on behalf of Leapfrog Lighting.
The poll is considered statistically accurate, subject to an error rate of 3.92%. It was conducted as a random sampling of business owners. 2372 responses to the poll were collected. The poll had an average absolute error rate of 3.92 and a confidence level exceeding 95%.
The poll is the third in a series of research studies undertaken by an independent marketing company on behalf of Leapfrog Lighting. For more polls, visit>>
About Leapfrog Lighting
The current Leapfrog Lighting spec-quality product line includes MR16, PAR20, PAR30 and PAR38 lamps that provide industry-leading output power through high-efficiency LED source and driver electronics. The innovative lens design creates a pleasing, glare-free light suitable for use in all indoor and unexposed outdoor down-lighting applications. The lamps also deliver the high CRI and ultra-consistent color temperature control critical to multi-lamp applications in hotels, restaurants, schools, office buildings, museums, galleries, retail operations and other public spaces. With a life expectancy of 40,000 operating hours, these UL-registered lamps will provide more than 27 years of service at 4 hours per day.
Leapfrog Lighting intends to be the current and future benchmark in quality of light for years to come, said Stephen Naor of Leapfrog.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/06/prweb11981834.htm
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact email@example.com.