WHO declares ebola outbreak a 'public health emergency' - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

WHO declares ebola outbreak a 'public health emergency'

FRIDAY, Aug. 8 2014 (HealthDay News) -- The World Health Organization on Friday declared the outbreak of deadly Ebola virus in West Africa a "public health emergency."

The outbreak, which has already claimed 961 lives in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, "constitutes an 'extraordinary event' and a public health risk to other States," WHO said in a statement. The declaration was based on the unanimous decision of an Emergency Committee meeting convened this week.

"A coordinated international response is deemed essential to stop and reverse the international spread of Ebola," the organization said. Experts pointed to several ominous factors, such as the emergence of cases of Ebola in densely populated cities; cases arising among health-care workers that suggest "inadequate infection control practices;" and generally "fragile" health care systems.

WHO recommended that each of the countries affected by the outbreak declare a national emergency, clearly inform the public of the situation and ramp up efforts to limit transmission of the virus.

On Friday evening, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared "a national emergency" and approved more than $11 million in government funding to fight the spread of Ebola, according to BBC News.

Earlier this week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention raised its response to the Ebola outbreak to its highest alert status. The move allows the CDC to expand its role in fighting the growing public health crisis, which gained new urgency as cases of the deadly infection began to be reported in populous Nigeria.

According to NBC News, a "level 1 activation" response has typically been reserved for only the most dire and pressing emergencies, such as the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 or the bird flu outbreak in 2009. The CDC has already committed 50 more staff people to fly to the area of the outbreak over the next month, and more could follow.

Meanwhile, medical ethicists will meet next week to discuss who should have access to the limited supplies of an experimental medicine for the deadly Ebola virus, WHO said.

The drug was given to and benefited Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, two American aid workers who contracted the disease in West Africa. It was the first time the drug was tried on people, NBC News reported.

The maker of the drug has said it can't produce large amounts of the experimental medicine, which means only a limited number of patients will be able to receive it. There is no certified vaccine or cure for Ebola.

"We are in an unusual situation in this outbreak," WHO official Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny said in a statement, NBC reported. "We need to ask the medical ethicists to give us guidance on what the responsible thing to do is."

More information

Visit the CDC for more on Ebola.

Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.
  • Ohio/Pennsylvania NewsMore>>

  • Man steps in front of truck, sets himself on fire

    Man steps in front of truck, sets himself on fire

    Monday, September 15 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-09-15 23:14:38 GMT
    OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) - Authorities say a man stepped into traffic on a northeast Ohio highway and then set himself on fire. Ohio State Highway Patrol officials say 28-year-old Hugo Ramos of Cleveland pulled to the side of the highway, stepped into the road and was hit by a truck. Ramos then got up, retrieved a container of gasoline from his car, swallowed some of it, poured the rest on his body and then set himself on fire as three children sat in his car. Officials say a bystander extinguishe...More >>
    OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) - Authorities say a man stepped into traffic on a northeast Ohio highway and then set himself on fire. Ohio State Highway Patrol officials say 28-year-old Hugo Ramos of Cleveland pulled to the side of the highway, stepped into the road and was hit by a truck. Ramos then got up, retrieved a container of gasoline from his car, swallowed some of it, poured the rest on his body and then set himself on fire as three children sat in his car. Officials say a bystander extinguishe...More >>
  • Police: Man lying in road struck by car, killed

    Police: Man lying in road struck by car, killed

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-09-15 14:29:55 GMT
    HERMINIE, Pa. (AP) - Authorities say a man apparently lying in the road in front of a western Pennsylvania high school was struck and killed by a car. Officials in Westmoreland County said the accident happened shortly after 1:40 a.m. Monday in front of Yough High School in Sewickley Township. State police said the pedestrian was apparently lying in the northbound lane of Lowber Road when he was hit by a car. Police said the driver reported seeing what appeared to be an object in the road an...More >>
    HERMINIE, Pa. (AP) - Authorities say a man apparently lying in the road in front of a western Pennsylvania high school was struck and killed by a car. Officials in Westmoreland County said the accident happened shortly after 1:40 a.m. Monday in front of Yough High School in Sewickley Township. State police said the pedestrian was apparently lying in the northbound lane of Lowber Road when he was hit by a car. Police said the driver reported seeing what appeared to be an object in the road an...More >>
  • Central Ohio teen shot to death

    Central Ohio teen shot to death

    Monday, September 15 2014 9:58 AM EDT2014-09-15 13:58:15 GMT
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A central Ohio teenager was shot to death over the weekend. The Franklin County coroner identified the victim as 17-year-old Reb Barbee. Police say the teen was shot at about 5 a.m. Sunday in Prairie Township west of Columbus. Friends and neighbors told reporters that Barbee stumbled into his home leaving a trail of blood. The Franklin County Sheriff's Office hasn't released any details of the shooting and hasn't announced an arrest. Copyright 2014 The Associated Press....More >>
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A central Ohio teenager was shot to death over the weekend. The Franklin County coroner identified the victim as 17-year-old Reb Barbee. Police say the teen was shot at about 5 a.m. Sunday in Prairie Township west of Columbus. Friends and neighbors told reporters that Barbee stumbled into his home leaving a trail of blood. The Franklin County Sheriff's Office hasn't released any details of the shooting and hasn't announced an arrest. Copyright 2014 The Associated Press....More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms