Trump's personal aide escorted from White House - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Trump's personal aide escorted from White House

Posted: Updated:

By CATHERINE LUCEY
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump's personal aide was removed from the job and escorted out of the White House Monday, though he quickly rejoined the president's campaign.

John McEntee, who served as the president's personal assistant, was escorted out, according to two people close to the White House who sought anonymity to discuss private conversations. He was one of a shrinking group of former campaign aides still working in the turbulent West Wing.

Trump's 2020 Republican campaign announced Tuesday that he will serve as a senior adviser for campaign operations. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders declined to comment on the reasons for his departure, saying only that McEntee was going to the campaign.

In response to news reports about McEntee's exit, Rep. Elijah Cummings, the ranking Democrat on the House oversight committee, sent a letter to chief of staff John Kelly requesting all documents related to McEntee's employment and departure.

McEntee, who was well liked in the West Wing, occupied a key White House role, never far from Trump in the White House or on the road. His exit comes after a number of key aides have left the building.

Trump announced Tuesday that he had ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Trump's top economic adviser, Gary Cohn, left recently amid internal debate over Trump's plans for tariffs. Communications director Hope Hicks also recently announced her departure.

Like Hicks, McEntee was part of a small group of aides that had been with Trump since his campaign. Their departures could leave Trump more isolated in his second year in office.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More From wfmj.comHot ClicksMore>>

  • Woman who helped kidnap Elizabeth Smart to be released

    Woman who helped kidnap Elizabeth Smart to be released

    Wednesday, September 19 2018 5:49 AM EDT2018-09-19 09:49:49 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File). FILE - In this Sept. 13, 2018, file photo, Elizabeth Smart arrives for a news conference in Salt Lake City. Smart says she’s been “reassured” the woman who helped kidnap her when she was 14 and stood by as she was sexually...(AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File). FILE - In this Sept. 13, 2018, file photo, Elizabeth Smart arrives for a news conference in Salt Lake City. Smart says she’s been “reassured” the woman who helped kidnap her when she was 14 and stood by as she was sexually...
    Elizabeth Smart says she's been assured that the woman who helped kidnap her when she was 14 and stood by as she was sexually assaulted will be watched when she's released from prison.More >>
    Elizabeth Smart says she's been assured that the woman who helped kidnap her when she was 14 and stood by as she was sexually assaulted will be watched when she's released from prison.More >>
  • North Carolina gov pleads with storm evacuees to be patient

    North Carolina gov pleads with storm evacuees to be patient

    Wednesday, September 19 2018 5:48 AM EDT2018-09-19 09:48:44 GMT
    (AP Photo/Steve Helber). An unidentified family member carries Ruth Brady to safety at the Wilmington airport in Wilmington, N.C., Monday, Sept. 17, 2018. Brady was one of several family members rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter crew north of Wilming...(AP Photo/Steve Helber). An unidentified family member carries Ruth Brady to safety at the Wilmington airport in Wilmington, N.C., Monday, Sept. 17, 2018. Brady was one of several family members rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter crew north of Wilming...
    Food and water handouts are beginning in the North Carolina city of Wilmington, which is still mostly cut off by floodwaters from Hurricane Florence.More >>
    Food and water handouts are beginning in the North Carolina city of Wilmington, which is still mostly cut off by floodwaters from Hurricane Florence.More >>
  • McDonald's workers across US protest against sex harassment

    McDonald's workers across US protest against sex harassment

    Wednesday, September 19 2018 5:47 AM EDT2018-09-19 09:47:40 GMT
    McDonald's workers are staging protests in several cities in what organizers called the first multistate strike seeking to combat sexual harassment in the workplace.More >>
    McDonald's workers are staging protests in several cities in what organizers called the first multistate strike seeking to combat sexual harassment in the workplace.More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms