A crew from Republic Services picking up trash on their regular route had to make an unplanned stop in Youngstown Wednesday morning when a fire broke out in the garbage they were hauling.

Workers were on the 200 block of Poland Avenue when they discovered flames in the back of the truck at around 4:30 a.m.

They pulled off the road and dumped the trash into a parking lot.

Firefighters from the city of Youngstown were called in to put out the fire.

The workers were not hurt and the truck wasn't damaged.

Investigators believe that the source of the fire may be magnesium that someone threw out.

The driver of the truck tells 21 News that magnesium is not normally thrown out with common trash.

Magnesium is a metal and proper disposal protocol involves recycling through a scrap metal dealer.