A federal judge in Youngstown has pushed back some of the proceedings in the UAW's lawsuit against General Motors that included job transfer rights of employees laid-off from Lordstown Assembly Complex.

U.S. District Judge Benita Pearson on Thursday delayed for approximately one month, dates to file motions and hold a telephone conference on the UAW's lawsuit filed after GM announced it would stop production of the Chevy Cruze in Lordstown.

The union claims that while GM refused requests by laid-off Lordstown workers to transfer to GM's pickup truck plant in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the company continued using temporary non-union workers at the Indiana plant.

The union claims that GM is in violation of a memorandum of understanding with the UAW allowing GM to hire temporary employees from May 31, 2018, through August 31, 2018, to support the launch of a new pickup truck.

Judge Pearson pushed back to August 12 a telephone conference on the case that had been scheduled for Friday. The judge denied the union's request for a 30-day stay in the case requested due to a July 13 fire at the International Union's headquarters in Detroit.

The union motion states the fire originated in the UAW's legal department preventing union attorneys from accessing paper records that may be needed in the case.

The delays come just three days after bargainers for the union and GM shook hands to begin negotiation on a new contract.

The union and GM have both said that the future of the now-idled Lordstown assembly plant would be among the issues discussed during contract bargaining.

The current UAW-GM contract expires September 14, twenty-five days before the new deadline for UAW and GM attorneys to file motions in the lawsuit.

Although the case continues to be considered by the court, it is not uncommon for labor lawsuits like this to become an issue in contract negotiations.

Judge Pearson has yet to rule on General Motor's motion to submit the issues in the suit to arbitration. That motion that is opposed by the UAW.