19 nominees announced to replace Youngstown School Board
A list of 19 names has been submitted, from which five people will be selected to become new members of the Youngstown City School District's Board of education. However, the current school board is trying to stop those appointments.
The Ohio Department of Education has released a list from which Youngstown Mayor Tito Brown will select five names to replace the current board in January.
The list compiled by an eight-member Ohio Superintendent's Nominating Panel of include:
- Kimberly Benson – nominated by Justin Jennings
- Kelan Bilal – nominated by Jeremy Batchelor
- Barbara Brothers – nominated by Justin Jennings
- James Brown -nominated by Rikki Queener
- Maurya Brown -nominated by Rikki Queener
- Jolyn Bush – nominated by Jane Haggerty
- Kenneth Donaldson – nominated by Jeremy Batchelor and Germaine Bennett
- Barbara Zban Flinn – nominated by Germaine Bennett
- George Freeman Jr. - nominated by Justin Jennings
- Ruthie D. King – nominated by Justin Jennings
- Andrea Mahone – nominated by Justin Jennings
- Barbara Lynn Mitchell -nominated by Rikki Queener
- Tiffany Patterson – nominated by Germaine Bennett and Thomas DeGenova
- Jan Pentz – nominated by Jane Haggerty
- Jane Sadinski – nominated by John Richard
- Nia Simms – nominated by Thomas DeGenova and Justin Jennings
- John J. Spivey Jr. - nominated by Germaine Bennett
- Lois E. Thornton – nominated by Germaine Bennett
- Harry C. Turner – nominated by Justin Jennings
Since Youngstown Schools got its fourth "F" grade on the state report card, under House Bill 70 the state is intervening in the school's operation.
The Ohio Superintendent's Nominating Panel is scheduled to meet on Thursday to officially present Mayor Brown with the nominees being considered for appointment to the board.
That meeting is scheduled to take place at 5:30 p.m. in the Community Room of Youngstown Rayen Early College High School on Wood Street.
Mayor Brown will have thirty days to select five people from their recommendations to appoint to the board.
However, a hearing is scheduled on Wednesday in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court to consider a request from the Youngstown City School Board to stop Mayor Tito Brown from naming new board members.
Judge Scott Krichbaum has set a 1:30 pm hearing to consider the board's motion for a temporary restraining order against the mayor.