Commercial vehicle restrictions on eastern PA interstates
In response to current weather conditions, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission have placed restrictions on certain trucks and other vehicles and limiting speed limits.
Restrictions will remain in place as long as conditions are warranted. The state has banned all double trailers (regardless of whether they are equipped with chains), empty trailers, non-commercial vehicles pulling trailers, recreational vehicles and motorcycles on these interstates:
- Interstate 81 north of the junction with Interstate 80 to the New York border.
- Interstates 84 and 380 in northeast Pennsylvania.
- Interstate 476, the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, north of the Pocono/Clark Summit exit for Interstate 80.
Additionally, in response to a full commercial vehicle ban that has been instituted on Interstates 78 and 80 in New Jersey, Level 1 and 2 restrictions are in place:
- Interstate 80 Eastbound from Interstate 81 to the New Jersey border.
- Interstate 78 Eastbound from Interstate 81 to the New Jersey border.
- US 22 from Interstate 78 to the New Jersey border in both directions.
- The entirety of State Route 33 in both directions.
All restrictions can be viewed on the below map. Interstates 78 and 80 in the westbound direction will remain unrestricted unless conditions warrant the implementation of restrictions.
As conditions warrant, speed limits will be restricted to 45 mph, and commercial vehicles must move to the right lane. Additional speed restrictions on other interstates could be added depending on changing conditions.