City of Columbiana requests reduced electrical use Wednesday through Friday
The city of Columbiana is asking electric customers to voluntarily reduce energy consumption from Wednesday, July 20 through Friday, July 22.
As temperatures are expected to reach the 90s in the Eastern United States, electric customers in Columbaiana are requested to lower electricity usage between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on these dates.
"There's plenty of power available and the grid is in good shape, but if we can conserve during these peak hours, the city can save on transmission and capacity costs next year," said Columbiana City Manager, Lance Willard.
Customers can take these simple steps to conserve power:
- Shutting off the lights when not needed
- Unplugging small appliances and electrical chargers
- Raising their air conditioner thermostat a degree or two
- Closing curtains, drapes and blinds
- Doing laundry and other household chores the require electricity during hours other than 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Turning off electronic devices when not in use
"Our citizens and customers have the opportunity to make a difference in their system and their rates by conserving energy during these periods," Willard said.