Fire officials in Sharon say the fate of a restaurant in the area could have been a lot worse without the help of a lone fire sprinkler in the building Wednesday evening.

According to a press release, the fire happened shortly before 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night at The Block by Nova Destinations on Chestnut Avenue. It originated in or near a laundry basket on the floor.

Once the fire started, the building's sprinkler system activated and fire crews were able to make it to the restaurant in less than two minutes.

Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke inside the building and one fire sprinkler near the bar area flowing. According to the release, the whole fire was extinguished by the sprinkler alone.

Fire crews say damage to the building was minimal.

Crews added that during the new occupancy fire inspection conducted on the building in July, the city's fire inspector discovered that the water supply valve to the sprinkler system was closed, which was unknown to the fire department at the time.

Further investigation revealed that the water supply valve had been closed and the system had drained in 2021 due to freezing concerns, but the fire department was never notified that this had been done.

The city fire inspector immediately required the valve to be reopened along with a complete evaluation of the sprinkler system. Had this not happened, the situation could have been much worse.

"If no city fire inspection had been performed, it is very likely that the water supply valve would still have been closed at the time of this fire, allowing the fire to spread unchecked until it was large enough to be seen blowing out of the windows by a passerby," said Deputy Fire Chief, Nick Samson.