Head start parents ask Congressman Ryan for help - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Head start parents ask Congressman Ryan for help

Posted: Updated:

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Parents who have children involved with the local Head Start program are urging Congress to ease the drastic spending cuts that will impact so many vulnerable families.

The families brought their concerns to the Youngstown office of Congressman Tim Ryan today. The so-called sequester cuts would deny thousands of children the benefits of Head Start's early education and child care programs.

"The projection is across the nation, 70,000 children will lose their seat at any given Head Start site. In the state of Ohio, the number is 2,500. Here in Mahoning County at 5 percent, the number is over 50 children," says Doug Sherl, a Head Start parent and community volunteer.

More than 100 children could be left out of Head Start if Trumbull and Columbiana counties are added.

The families were told that Congressman Ryan is on their side and he is hopeful that congress will take action to ease the spending cuts for Head Start and Early Head Start.

Tune in to 21 News at 6 p.m. for more on this story.

 

  • More NewsMore>>

  • 23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    23 million more uninsured with GOP health bill, analysts say

    Thursday, May 25 2017 4:14 AM EDT2017-05-25 08:14:54 GMT
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
    Congressional Republicans are about to learn more about whether their drive to dismantle President Barack Obama's health care law has been worth the political pain they've been experiencing.More >>
  • Victims of the bombing: Parents, children, police officer

    Victims of the bombing: Parents, children, police officer

    Thursday, May 25 2017 3:57 AM EDT2017-05-25 07:57:55 GMT
    Teenager Olivia Campbell-Hardy, who went to school near Manchester, was at the Ariana Grande concert with a friend on Monday night.More >>
    Teenager Olivia Campbell-Hardy, who went to school near Manchester, was at the Ariana Grande concert with a friend on Monday night.More >>
  • Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Former Niles chef in custody again for alleged jewelry theft

    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:52 AM EDT2017-05-25 04:52:46 GMT
    Daimer CesconDaimer Cescon

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>

    The former chef at a Niles restaurant is back in jail two years after fleeing prosecution for an alleged jewel theft. Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Judge Wyatt McKay on Wednesday set bail at $1 million for 46-year-old Daimer Cescon. Cescon has been considered a fugitive since June, 2015 when he failed to show up for a court hearing on a three count indictment handed up by a county grand jury earlier that year. Cescon, who lived in Liberty Township at the time he was charged, i...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms