9-year-old dies from smoke inhalation in Pennsylvania fire - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

9-year-old dies from smoke inhalation in Pennsylvania fire

Posted: Updated:

EAST COVENTRY, Pa. (AP) - Police say a 9-year-old boy has died after a fire broke out at his home in Pennsylvania.

Firefighters were called to the scene early Sunday morning to the East Coventry Township home in Chester County.

WPVI-TV reports the boy's father had seen the smoke while coming home, and tried to scale the building to reach his son on the second floor. The man was injured during the climb.

Firefighters found the boy inside, saying he died of smoke inhalation.

Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen, and they believe it was accidental.

The Red Cross is providing food and shelter for the family.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms