Dispatchers issue warning after dog electrocuted in Trumbull County
With downed power lines throughout the Valley, a tragic incident involving an animal is prompting emergency officials to issue a reminder for people not to assume that those wires are not live.
According to Trumbull 9-1-1 Dispatch, a dog was electrocuted Sunday evening along McCleary Jacoby Road after coming in contact with wires that authorities thought were not energized.
In addition, dispatchers tell 21 News that some people are ignoring barricades in place to protect people from live wires and fallen trees.
Dispatcher David Vasel emphasizes that lines could be live and that folks are risking their lives by passing through barriers.
If you see a wire down, call 911 immediately.
AEP offers the following tips as work continues to restore power:
Stay away from any downed wires.
Investigate your surroundings before trying to clean up any debris. Limbs, leaves, and other objects moved by the wind could hide downed wires. Do not attempt to remove tree limbs or debris within 10 feet of a power line.
Check on family, friends and neighbors who are elderly, have small children or have a medical condition.
Notify your utility if you’re using a generator. This protects you and line workers as they work to restore power.
Never operate lanterns, heaters, or fuel-fired stoves without proper ventilation.
Unplug major appliances to protect them when power is restored.
Refuel heaters, lamps, and generators outside and away from any flames or sparks. Wipe up spilled fuel immediately.
Never burn charcoal indoors — it releases poisonous carbon monoxide.