Deadly youth gun violence on rise in Youngstown
Deadly gun violence among youth in Youngstown has been on the rise. After another 16-year-old was killed on the city's West side on Tuesday, 21 News looked into the number of youth killed by guns saw a sharp increase in 2021 and there have already been two teenagers killed this year as well.
In the last five years, 21 people, all 19 years old and younger, have been killed within the city's boundaries.
In 2017, there were three youth deaths. Each year will list date, name, age and approximate location where each person was killed.
- 2/14/2017: Savon Willams, 17, died from a single gunshot wound to the head on the city's East side
- 7/14/2017: Braylin Bell, 18 was shot multiple times at his Mistletoe Avenue home in the Newport area
- 11/25/2017: Tyler Kitchen, 19, was killed on Belmont Avenue.
2018 saw the numbers double from the previous year, with six youth deaths.
- 3/3/2018: Brandon Wareham, 18, was killed on the West side near Rhonda Avenue.
- 3/22/2018; Damon Marinoff, 15, Sherwood Ave.
- 8/6/2018: Nautica Davis, 18, New York Ave.
- 8/21/2018: Sean Bell, 18, Oak Street Extension
- 11/7/2018: Valarcia Blair, 19, Pasadena Ave, along with her son, 3-month-old Tariq Morris
There were no people under the age of 19 killed in the city in 2019.
In 2020, there were two teenage deaths:
- 7/18/2020: Brandon Wesley, 19, was shot and killed in Homestead park while playing basketball.
- 9/15/2020: Theaplus Redmond, 19, died on Salt Springs Road.
2021 was a deadly year, with 8 teenagers killed by guns in the city:
- 3/5/2021: Damon Irby Jr., 19, was shot and killed in the 3400 block on Market Street
- 5/16/2021: Terrance Sellers, 19, died at Southern Blvd. and East Judson St.
- 5/23/2021: Mikquan Stevens, 19, Salt Springs Rd.
- 6/10/2021: Malik Stewart, 16, Hammaker St.
- 6/18/2021: Cornell Kennedy, 18, 110 block on Seneca St.
- 7/18/2021: Reshaud Biggs, 17, South Ave.
- 8/18/2021: Persayus Davis-May, 10, Samuel Ave.
- 12/27/2021: Malachi Jones, 19, Beachwood Dr.
2022 has had two teenagers killed through Wednesday:
- 1/13/2022: Landon Lockhart, 14, N. Truesdale Rd.
- 5/31/2022: Isiah Walker, 16, 700 block of Wilbur Ave.
Youngstown police are asking that anyone with information on any unsolved murder reach out anonymously through the Crime Stoppers phone number 330-746-2583.
The line is managed by a non-law enforcement program coordinator.
The anonymous program pays out thousands of reward dollars each to tipsters that lead to a conviction.
Crime Stoppers also offers an online tip submission form as well.