Years Ago | March 5th
Interesting moments in our Valley's history are revisited with this daily trip back in time.
Sunday, March 5th 2023, 12:00 AM EST
WFMJ archives / March 4, 1937 | A spectacular four-alarm fire destroyed an old wooden warehouse at the Republic Rubber Co. plant in Albert Street 86 years ago, for a time threatening huge gasoline storage tanks and the entire Republic complex. The fire attracted a sight-seeing contingent of office workers.
1998: Youngstown State University is investigating whether cash payments of as much as $12,000 from former YSU trustee Mickey Monus to Ray Isaac, the quarterback in YSU's 1991 national championship game, violated NCAA regulations.
Niles City Council rejects the city's participation in a partnership with brothers Jeff and Sam Moffie on a $7.5 million deal to build a minor league stadium at the Eastwood Mall.
Six candidates are seeking three seats in the new Mill Creek Metropolitan Park District.
1983: After a one-hour hearing, Mahoning County Common Pleas Judge William Houser suspends contempt of court charges against Sheriff James A. Traficant Jr. pending the outcome of a foreclosure sale the sheriff has promised to hold in April.
The 324th Military Police Co., Warren's Ohio National Guard unit, has begun moving from its headquarters of 70 years at 230 High St. to the unit's new home on Victoria Road in Austintown.
The Rev. James Renner Gilbert, former pastor of First Presbyterian Church, New Waterford, is named pastor of Struthers United Presbyterian Church, 110 Poland Ave.
1973: The Trumbull County Charter Commission concludes three months of hearings and schedules a meeting for comments from the general public on March 21.
A 9-year-old boy admits to setting a fire at Sacred Heart Church in Youngstown that damaged a restroom. He will be tested by school district psychologists.
Two bold bandits walk into the Western Union office at 213 W. Boardman, within sight of the downtown Youngstown police station, and rob three employees of an undisclosed amount of cash.
1948: The Strouss-Hirshberg Co. of Youngstown will merge with May Department Store Co, a national retailer, but will retain its local identity.
Sixteen priests of the Youngstown Diocese will be elevated to monsignor by Pope Pius XII.
Youngstown Airways Inc., owned by Forest Beckett, is the only bidder for the rental of a hangar and other operations at Youngstown Municipal Airport.
The Youngstown College library campaign sets a goal of 50- cents per student.