A Warren woman accused of escaping from Howland Police during a chase told officers that she fell asleep at a traffic light because she had been awake all night “partying”, according to a police report.

Thirty-one-year-old Kaitlyn Davis pleaded not guilty in Warren Municipal court on Tuesday after neglecting to appear before a judge earlier on charges of failure to comply with a police order, leaving an accident scene, failing to maintain an assured clear distance, driving with a suspended license, and possessing drug paraphernalia.

The charges stem from an incident on the afternoon of October 12th when Howland Police responded to several 9-1-1 calls that the driver of a pickup truck appeared to be sleeping at a traffic light at Route 82 and Howland Wilson Road.

When police pulled up behind the truck, officers said it sped away. But not before running into the back of another car at the light.

Police say they turned on their cruiser’s siren and began pursuing the truck on Route 82. 

Driving at 85 miles per hour, the police cruiser began losing ground on the pickup, abandoning the chase, and giving a description of the suspect vehicle to surrounding police departments.

Using that description, Vienna Police pulled the truck over later along Niles Vienna Road.

Howland officers arrived and interviewed Davis, asking her about running into the car in front of hers.

According to the police report, Davis admitted to striking the vehicle and decided not to stop for police because she didn’t have a valid driver’s license.

When asked about possibly being asleep while stopped in traffic, the report says Davis claimed she was awake all last night while "partying" and must have fallen asleep.

The report also says Davis admitted taking a Xanax tablet around midnight, then snorting fentanyl three hours later before smoking marijuana.

Davis did not show signs of impairment according to the investigating officer.

A search of the pickup truck uncovered two crack pipes, one meth pipe, a marijuana pipe, two pills, and a digital scale.

During her hearing, the judge set bond at $2,500 and scheduled another court hearing for November 21.