A Newton Township man faces inducing panic and other charges after deputies say he caused fellow residents of his apartment building to flee into Monday morning’s chilly weather.

Firefighters were called out at 3:30 a.m. when smoke began filling the third floor of one of the buildings at the Newton Village apartments off Ridge Road.

As deputies knocked on doors getting residents to evacuate, firefighters broke through the door of one apartment where they found a piece of fabric or clothing smoldering in a sink.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, the man who lived in that apartment was Chance Rucker, one of the people they had evacuated.

 Deputies say they found Rucker in a car being driven by a woman attempting to drive away from the apartment complex.

Deputies managed to block the car and arrest Rucker, who denied knowing about the fire and denying any wrongdoing.

Rucker was booked into the county jail on charges of aggravated arson, inducing panic, making false alarms, obstructing official business, and misconduct at an emergency.

Although deputies reported that the smoke made them cough and choke, no injuries were reported.