The EPA worked through the Memorial Day holiday in one Salem neighborhood Monday, as they worked to figure out what caused a mercury spill at a home over the weekend.

Two children are recovering after being exposed to a mercury spill Friday evening at an Edgewood Drive home in Salem. As crews continue to remove dozens of contaminated bags from the home, the cleanup process could take several more days to complete.

Crews from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Columbiana County Emergency Management Agency, and the Salem Health Department have lined Edgewood Drive since Saturday afternoon.

"We're concerned about the safety and we're not leaving here until the home is safe," said Jason Cashmere, On-Scene Coordinator with the Ohio EPA.

Monday was the third day of cleanup at the Edgewood Drive home. Crews spent Monday working in the basement to find the source, as they removed hundreds of items.

"We're removing items from the basement to heat and drive off the mercury vapors," Cashmere explained. "Once that operation is complete, we'll be re-screening the basement to try and narrow down a source area."

21 News was told cleanup is expected to take several more days and last a full week.

Mercury is a naturally occurring chemical but it can be highly toxic to humans. The homeowners believe the jar of mercury was left in the home by the previous homeowner.

The use of mercury in consumer products is limited, but that has not always been the case. Some antiques like clocks, thermometers, old appliances and auto parts contain levels of mercury that can harm humans. However, people are most commonly exposed by consuming some types fish, according to information from the EPA.

"The fumes from mercury are very dangerous," said Jon Gulch, On-Scene Coordinator with the Ohio EPA. "Especially to the central nervous system. Anytime there's mercury spilled, it's very important to get mercury cleaned up, and make the house inhabitable again for the residents."

As the EPA continues to work through the house, Salem Mayor Cyndi Dickey said there is no danger to any other home or person in the surrounding area.

The EPA is encouraging those with questions or concerns about mercury exposure to contact the Region 5 EPA branch at 1-800-621-8431.