D&L license appeal denied - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Updated

D&L license appeal denied

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Ohio Oil and Gas Commission has denied the appeal filed by  a Youngstown energy service company that lost it's licenses for allegedly violating clean water regulations.

In February, the Chief of the Division of the Ohio Oil and Gas Resources Management revoked six saltwater injection well permits held by  D&L Energy, denied three applications for new injection well permits, and ordered D&L to halt temporary storage operations at the company's facility on  Salt Springs Road.

The decision came after it was discovered that Ben Lupo, who owned D&L at the time, had been ordering employees to drain drilling waste into a Youngstown sewer.

Investigators allege that the waste found its way into the Mahoning River, and indicted Lupo and employee Michael Guesman for allegedly violating the Federal Clean Water Act.

In it's decision upholding revocation of  D&L's permits,  the Oil and Gas Commission held Lupo responsible for the waste dumping.

Even though the alleged crime was committed by an employee of Hardrock Excavating, another company operated by Lupo at the time, the commission ruled that Lupo still permitted the dumping to take place on D&L property.

D&L has thirty days to decide if it wishes to file an appeal with Franklin County Common Pleas Court.

Calls to attorneys representing D&L in the case were not returned to 21 News.

According to testimony  presented in the case, the cost of cleaning up the waste water exceed $400,000.

State Representative Bob Hagan says he would be surprised if D & L was approved after more than 100 violations.@

"It is deserving. He is deserving and his company is deserving of not operating in the state of Ohio," Hagan says. "This sends a clear message and if you want to operate in the gas and oil operations in Ohio, you have to do it right."

Hagan says people like him will not be like lap dogs waiting for abuse.

"This one was caught and we'll be watching them. I want to make sure they do stay out of business. They've shown they are not worthy of being business people in our state and in our area," Hagan says.

 

  • More NewsMore>>

  • East Palestine man matches five numbers on Rolling Cash 5

    East Palestine man matches five numbers on Rolling Cash 5

    Thursday, May 25 2017 2:22 PM EDT2017-05-25 18:22:57 GMT

    An East Palestine man is tens of thousands of dollars richer after winning an Ohio Lottery game. James C. Davis matched all five numbers in the May 23, 2017 Rolling Cash 5 game winning $100,000, according to the Ohio Lottery Commission. After mandatory federal and state taxes totaling 29 percent, Davis will receive $71,000. Davis used auto pick, buying the ticket from Gorby’s market at 368 N. Market Street in East Palestine, Gorby’s receives a $500 selling bonus. 

    More >>

    An East Palestine man is tens of thousands of dollars richer after winning an Ohio Lottery game. James C. Davis matched all five numbers in the May 23, 2017 Rolling Cash 5 game winning $100,000, according to the Ohio Lottery Commission. After mandatory federal and state taxes totaling 29 percent, Davis will receive $71,000. Davis used auto pick, buying the ticket from Gorby’s market at 368 N. Market Street in East Palestine, Gorby’s receives a $500 selling bonus. 

    More >>
  • UPDATED

    Recall underway for 91,000 pounds of breakfast sausage

    Recall underway for 91,000 pounds of breakfast sausage

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:45 PM EDT2017-05-25 17:45:54 GMT

     Armour Eckrich Meats is recalling approximately 90,978 pounds of ready-to-eat sausage products distributed to food service customers, due to possible contamination from pieces of metal. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced on Wednesday that food service fully-cooked pork, turkey and beef breakfast sausage items were produced and packaged from April 26 through April 28, 2017. 

    More >>

     Armour Eckrich Meats is recalling approximately 90,978 pounds of ready-to-eat sausage products distributed to food service customers, due to possible contamination from pieces of metal. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced on Wednesday that food service fully-cooked pork, turkey and beef breakfast sausage items were produced and packaged from April 26 through April 28, 2017. 

    More >>
  • Boardman man sentenced for shooting death at Youngstown bar

    Boardman man sentenced for shooting death at Youngstown bar

    Thursday, May 25 2017 1:25 PM EDT2017-05-25 17:25:05 GMT

    A Boardman man has been sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for a deadly shooting outside a bar on Youngstown's South Side. Thirty-seven year old Daniel Harris plead guilty to all of the charges against him in connection with the death of thirty-four year old Tony Brown outside the Southern Tavern on Glenwood Avenue on November 16, 2015. 

    More >>

    A Boardman man has been sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for a deadly shooting outside a bar on Youngstown's South Side. Thirty-seven year old Daniel Harris plead guilty to all of the charges against him in connection with the death of thirty-four year old Tony Brown outside the Southern Tavern on Glenwood Avenue on November 16, 2015. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms