Years Ago | May 26th
Interesting moments in our Valley's history are revisited with this daily trip back in time.
Thursday, May 26th 2022, 12:01 AM EDT
Vindicator file photo / May 26, 1982 | Eleanor Beecher Flad, left, and her mother, Mrs. Ward Beecher, were given an inspection tour of restoration work at Lanterman’s Mill in Mill Creek Park 40 years ago. The work was funded by a $600,000 gift from the Ward Beecher Foundation. Loren Cameron, right, was in charge of the initial restoration work. Park Superintendent Bill Schollaert conducted the tour.
1997: Sharonsteel Foundation, which was funded by the Sharon Steel Corp., but survived the company's 1992 bankruptcy as an independent fund, contributed nearly $250,000 to local charities in 1995 and 1996.
Liberty Township trustees say the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center, a private prison on the boundary between Youngstown and Liberty Township, should install a siren that would sound in the event of a prisoner escape.
Howland Boy Scout Mike Babyak refurbished the Seely Cemetery on Niles Cortland Road, just south of Howland Springs Road, as his Eagle Scout project. He located more than 30 graves on a knoll near the rear entrance to the Eastwood Mall.
1982: General Motors is meeting with union officials, including those from UAW Local 1112, to discuss the company's plan to split its car and van plants between separate management teams.
Mahoning County commissioners are told the Sheriff's Department will run out of money to feed prisoners by August.
Wean United Inc. wins a contract to provide a $16 million, 16-inch electric pipe mill and related finishing equipment for Newport Steel Corp. in Wilder, Ky.
1972: Robert L. Pegues is named superintendent of Youngstown City Schools, the first native Youngstowner to hold the job in 70 years. He will be paid $27,000 a year.
Youngstown’s six city swimming pools will be open on June 15, Park Superintendent Ed Finamore announces.
John Haben Jr., 18, of New Castle Road, Lowellville, leaped for his life from his disabled car seconds before it was slammed by a B&O train traveling 50 mph at the Sixth Street crossing.
1947: Two Youngstown ex-convicts are captured in a running gunfight with Canton police following the $1,000 robbery of a liquor club.
Dr. Earl Reed, Youngstown dentist, and Regner Neilson, local engineer, are rescued off Lake Erie near Conneaut after people on shore noticed beams from a flashlight Dr. Reed was flashing after their fishing boat capsized.
Rear Admiral Glenn B. Davis will fly to Youngstown to address the Community Memorial Service at South High Field House May 29.