A baby and driver made it out of an SUV safely before the vehicle became engulfed in flames Thursday afternoon in Boardman. 

Boardman fire officials said the incident happened around 3:30 pm on Southern Boulevard. 

They say the driver of the vehicle smelled smoke while driving and decided to pull over. 

The driver, Abdul Muhammad, told 21 News he smelled the wiring burning, pulled over and the vehicle lit on fire. 

Muhammad said he hurried up to get the baby out of the car seat before the smoke got to her. 

Neither Muhammad or the infant was injured in the fire, but the car was consumed by the fire and is completely burned. 

According to the Boardman Police Department, the fire did not seem to be criminal and the cause of the fire could be faulty wiring.