Youngstown Parade and Tree Lighting: What you need to know to go
A tree lighting ceremony and parade are just part of this year's holiday festivities kickoff set for Friday in Downtown Youngstown. In addition, drivers can expect some parking bans in the city because of the events.
Festivities begin at 4 pm, on Friday, December 6, 2019, in Central Square. The parade will start at 6 pm on E. Federal Street near Commerce Street and will finish on W. Federal Street at Vindicator Square.
The tree lighting will take place after the parade at approximately 7:30 pm, followed by pictures with Santa in the lobby at 20 W. Federal Street.
This year’s Grand Marshall is Dr. Lou Zona from the Butler Institute of American Art. Dr. Zona will preside as Grand Marshall as the Butler celebrates its Centennial Anniversary.
The parade has several family-friendly activities including music in the Square:
4:00 pm – The Houseband
5:00 pm – Howard Howell & the Point Five Band.
The grandstand will be set up on Central Square and fencing will line both sides of Federal Street between Champion Street and Phelps Street.
Immediately following the tree lighting at 7:30 pm, there will be a fireworks display.
Other activities coordinated with the parade include:
- Festivities in Central Square (4 pm)
- Youngstown Holiday Flea @ DeYor Performing Arts Center (4 pm - 8 pm)
- Free admission to OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science & Technology from 4 pm-7 pm
- Free admission to the Tyler History Center, 4 pm - 7 pm
- Spruce Holiday Pop-Up Shop on N. Phelps
- “Memories of Christmas Past” 12 pm - 4 pm Arms Family Museum
- Free admission to the Historical Center of Industry & Labor 10 am – 8 pm
- “The Nutcracker” by the Ballet Western Reserve at Stambaugh Auditorium at 8 PM
- Phamily Fun Night with the Phantoms at the Covelli Center. The puck drops at 7:30 pm -Children 12 and under will receive a $5 Ticket & more!
- American Holiday Craft Show @ Butler Institute (Sat. 10am-5pm, Sun. 10am-4pm)
- Winter Celebration: The Magical Woods @ Fellows Riverside Gardens (Dec. 1-28 10am-5pm)
In preparation for the event, starting at 10 pm Thursday, December 5, 2019, there will be a parking ban on Federal St., between Phelps Street and Champion Street.
Starting at 7 am Friday, December 6, 2019, the entire Federal Plaza Square will be closed between Champion Street to Phelps Street and between Commerce Street to Boardman Street.
Starting at 2 pm Friday, December 6, 2019, there will be a parking ban on Federal St., between South Ave and Symphony Place.
Downloadable parade information is available at www.youngstowncityscape.org