Niles man allegedly overdoses while babysitting infant
A Niles man is facing charges after allegedly overdosing while babysitting an infant.
According to the report, 39-year-old Scott Simms was found in the one-year-old's room at an apartment on the 4400 block of Berkshire Dr. SE on the floor unresponsive.
The baby's mother, who is Simms' sister, told police she let him babysit because she believed he had been clean for three months.
According to the report, Simms was babysitting the child for a few hours while the child's mother and her boyfriend went to the bar.
The two returned home when Simms did not answer the phone.
Police said the mother and her boyfriend found the door locked and had to get into the house through a window, finding that Simms was laying on the floor.
Officers found an Altoid mint box in his bag containing a brown powdery-like substance believed to be heroin.
The officer on scene gave Simms Narcan and he eventually became conscious but became aggressive and wasn't speaking in a way that made sense.
Simms was taken to the hospital for treatment and was taken to the Trumbull County Jail afterward.
He is facing charges of endangering children and drug paraphernalia.