AAA is warning those in areas with cold temperatures to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning during the winter blast.

The organization is reminding people that it is never safe to leave cars running in enclosed spaces or garages.

Car exhaust contains poisonous carbon monoxide gas that could cause injuries or death.

According to data from the CDC, more than 400 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires and more than 50,000 go to the emergency room because of the gas.

"If you want to warm your car's interior cabin, or take time to brush off ice and snow, be sure that the vehicle isn't in an enclosed space," said Theresa Podguski, Director of Legislative Affairs for AAA East Central.

AAA says to never start or let a car run in an enclosed area or garage and to keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-ups.

Homeowners should also never run a gas-powered generator in an enclosed area or heat your home with a gas range or oven.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call a health care professional or 911.