KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Greater Youngstown Italian Fest
Get ready for plenty of Italian food, wine and live music because the 37th Annual Greater Youngstown Italian Fest is almost here.
The festival kicks off in downtown Youngstown Friday, August 4 at 11:00 a.m. and will last until Sunday, August 6 at 11:00 p.m. The festival opens at 11:00 a.m. Friday and Sunday and at 1:00 p.m. Saturday wrapping up at 11:00 p.m. on all dates.
The cost of admission is $5 per day and kids under 12 can get in free. Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. No pets are allowed on festival grounds.
There will be plenty of food, vendors, live music, raffles and much more. During the opening ceremony Friday evening at 6:00, the Italian Heritage Foundation will be awarding scholarships to YSU students.
The Italian Man and Woman of the Year will also be named during the opening ceremony. The selected nominees will be invited to attend a special outdoor mass on Sunday and carry the gifts.
Over 30 Italian restaurants and food vendors will be participating in the event offering up favorites like pizza, Italian sausage and of course pasta. Additionally, over two dozen retail vendors will also be in attendance.
For guests 21 and over, the beer and wine tent will be open each day at the corner of Champion Street and East Federal Street. Even if you can't drink, you can still enjoy plenty of live music here daily.
Pasta lovers can see how far their appetite will take them in the pasta eating contest taking place on Saturday from 3:00 to 3:30 p.m.
If homemade Italian cooking is more your game, you could put your recipes to the test in the homemade peppers and homemade Italian wine contest from 3:15 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Morra players can put their skills to the test in the Morra tournament, which kicks off Friday at 7:00 p.m.
On Sunday, children of Italian descent will be participating in the Little King & Queen and Little Prince and Princess pageants from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Children between the ages of four and five will compete for the title of Prince or Princess and children between the ages of six and seven will compete for the title of King and Queen.
If you're looking for some live music, the fest has you covered with plenty of acts throughout all three days. Jaclyn Orlesky will be serenading the square at Market and Federal Street daily throughout the festival.
A complete live music schedule can be found below.
- Noon-2:00 p.m.: The Feral Cats, a Purple Cat group (beer and wine tent)
- Noon-2:00 p.m.: Jacyln Olesky (Market Street and Federal Street)
- 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Rex Taneri (beer and wine tent)
- 4:00-6:00 p.m. Henry Edwardo (Market and Federal)
- 7:00-8:30 p.m.: Vintage Vinyl (beer and wine tent)
- 9:00-11:00 p.m.: RDNA (beer and wine tent)
- 1:15-3:00 p.m.: Del Sinchak (beer and wine tent)
- 4:00-6:00 p.m.: Butch Nichols Band (beer and wine tent)
- 4:00-6:00 p.m.: Henry Edwardo (Market and Federal)
- 5:00-7:00 p.m.: Jaclyn Olesky (Market and Federal)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Gli Italiani (beer and wine tent)
- 9:00-11:00 p.m.: The Ovations (beer and wine tent)
- 1:30-2:00 p.m.: Lowellville Band (beer and wine tent)
- 2:00-4:00 p.m.: Jaclyn Orlesky (Market and Federal)
- 4:00-6:00 p.m.: Avanti Band (beer and wine tent)
- 5:00-7:00 p.m.: Nick Salpietra (Market and Federal)
- 5:00-7:00 p.m.: Jaclyn Orlesky (Market and Federal)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Jim Frank (beer and wine tent)
- 9:00-11:00 p.m. HouseBand (beer and wine tent)
Various roads in downtown Youngstown will be closed during the festival. To see which roadways are closed off, click here.