Years Ago | September 8th
21 WFMJ archives / September 6, 1956 | A view of the interior of Temple Emanu-El in Youngstown 67 years ago, before dedication ceremonies for the temple began.
998: The Mills Brothers, the Andrews Sisters, the Beach Boys, and The Supremes are in the first class to be inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in Sharon.
Total attendance for the six-day 1998 Canfield Fair was 386,596.
An Ohio prison inspection official says he thinks dangerous federal inmates were deliberately sent to a private medium-security prison in Youngstown
1983: Creditors of Commuter Aircraft Corp. say they have given the company ample time to find a project for its $10 million plant at Youngstown Municipal Airport and will begin foreclosure proceedings in two weeks.
Lightning strikes the roof of St. Casimir Church on Jefferson Street, toppling 30 feet of the boiler chimney and damaging a mosaic wall behind the altar.
City officials have gotten the nod from the Youngstown Law Department to begin cracking down on employees who live outside Youngstown in violation of the residency requirement.
1973: Judge Clyde W. Osborne orders striking Youngstown teachers and other employees to return to work.
Judge Forrest Cavalier enjoins the Campbell Board of Education from hiring replacement employees for its striking teachers.
Representatives of six Mahoning County Republican women's clubs join the Ohio Federation of Republican Women in a resolution of support for President Nixon and Vice President Agnew.
1948: Heated arguments among two senators, a congressman, and an editor and pointed questions from a Youngstown audience of 2,000 at Stambaugh Auditorium sparked a fiery Town Hall Meeting of the Air that was broadcast nationally.
School Crossing Guard Frank Sellers, 63, is knocked down by a car at Wick and Rayen avenues but won't leave his post until the last child has safely crossed.